Cream of Sun Dried Tomato SoupFrom jaie 9 years ago
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped shopping list
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlc, finely chopped shopping list
- 4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock for non-vegetarian version shopping list
- 4 cups fresh, ripe tomatoes chopped or canned Italian tomatoes, drained shopping list
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (Do not use tomatoes packed in oil) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half (you can use milk, it's just not as creamy then) shopping list
- sugar, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste shopping list
- chives, chopped, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot, heat oilve oil over medium heat.
- Add celery, onion, carrots and garlic.
- Saute until tender, but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, tomatoes, potato, sun dried tomatoes and basil
- Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add, in small batches, to a blender or food processor and puree.
- If desired, strain through a fine sieve.
- Stir in cream or half and half.
- Season with sugar, salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
- Serve with a piece of crusty french bread drizzled with a bit of olive oil.