Ginger Peach ChutneyFrom notyourmomma 7 years ago
- 7 cups of sliced peaches, skins slipped off shopping list
- 4 1/4 cups of water shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups of granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups of cider vinegar shopping list
- 4 large cloves of garlic peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 cup of chopped onion shopping list
- 1 cup of raisins shopping list
- 2/3 cup of lime juice shopping list
- grated zest from 3 limes shopping list
- 2 tsp of ground ginger shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1/2 cup of chopped crystallized ginger shopping list
How to make it
- Cut an "x" in the bottom end of the peaches. Drop in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove and plunge in ice water. Slip off the skins with a paring knife.
- Slice peaches into a large bowl.
- Dissolve salt in 4 cups of water and pour over the peaches in a bowl. Cover tightly with clear wrap and let stand for 12 hours.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/4 cup of water, sugar, vinegar and garlic to a boil.
- Add drained peaches and cook until they are clear about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove peaches from the syrup and reserve.
- Stir in onions, raisins, lime juice, lime rind, ground ginger, pepper flakes to the boiling liquid. Cook until the mixture thickens about 15 minutes. Stir in the peaches off heat and add the crystyallized ginger.
- Ladle into sterilized jars and seal immediately. Set aside to cool and store in a dark cool place.
- Makes 5 1/2 pint jars.