Red Velvet Original CakeFrom shirleyoma 8 years ago
- * 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour shopping list
- * 2 teaspoons cocoa powder shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- * 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- * 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- * 2 large eggs shopping list
- * 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- * 4 ounces red food coloring shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- Icing: shopping list
- * 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened shopping list
- * 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- * 1 pound box confectioners’ sugar shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- * 1 cup chopped pecans shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. In a medium bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in eggs one at a time. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk. Beat in food coloring and vinegar, then add vanilla. Spread the batter evenly in the pans.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter. Beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Stir in pecans. Use frosting to fill and ice cake.
- Slice and serve on individual plates.
The Cookshirleyoma Cove, OR
The Rating4 people
Hello and thank you soooo much for posting this wonderful recipe!!! I made this for one of my Thanksgiving desserts and it was absolutely beautiful =D. My daughter asked for it and this is my first try at making it. I also made this cake into thre...moreshandy in Port Orchard loved it
Oh yeah, Shirley baby - you got my number on this one! This is one of my favorite cakes of all time - it's a classic and DE-licious! Thanks for the inspiration...I'm making one today. *Hugs* =)
And those are great pictures!lunasea in Orlando loved it
this is only my 2nd cake i have made home made and it turned out so great!!!! i used less food coloring but seriously a huge hit.snuglebunnygirl in Phoenix loved it