Tandoori-style chickenFrom heatherbudapest 8 years ago
- 2-1/2 pounds (1.25 kg) chicken pieces (legs and/or breasts), skinned shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice shopping list
- For the marinade: shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups (450 mL) plain yogurt (I plan to use my homemade -- recipe to come!) shopping list
- 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, chopped shopping list
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) piece of fresh ginger, chopped shopping list
- 1-2 hot green chilies, roughly sliced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (see posted recipe) shopping list
- lime or lemon wedges, to serve shopping list
How to make it
- Cut each chicken leg into 2 pieces and each breast into 4 pieces. Make 2 deep slits crossways into the meaty parts of each leg and breast piece. The slits should start at an edge and should be deep enough to reach the bone. (These are to help the marinade penetrate the meat.)
- Spread the chicken pieces out on 2 large platters. Sprinkle one side with half the salt and half the lemon juice and rub it in. Turn the pieces over and repeat on the second side. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the marinade: Combine the yogurt, onion, garlic, ginger, chilies and garam masala in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Strain the paste through a coarse sieve into a large bowl, pushing through as much liquid as you can.
- Put the chicken and all its accumulated juices into a bowl with the marinade. Rub the marinade into the slits in the meat, then cover and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to its maximum temperature and set a shelf in the top third of the oven where it is hottest. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and spread them out in a single layer on a large, shallow baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
- Lift the chicken pieces out of their juices and serve with lime or lemon wedges. (Or, use the chicken and remaining marinade to prepare Chicken Tikka Masala.)