Cornish Pasty Meat PieFrom jaeleepoms 6 years ago
- CRUST: shopping list
- 4 cups plain flour shopping list
- 1 cup lard, cut into cubes shopping list
- 1 cup butter, cut into cubes shopping list
- pinch of salt shopping list
- cold water to mix shopping list
- FILLING: shopping list
- 3/4 lb beef steak, coarsely chopped/diced shopping list
- 2 potatoes, peeled and coarsely diced shopping list
- 1 small rutabaga (swede), peeled and coarsely diced shopping list
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and coarsely diced shopping list
- 1 small onion, finely chopped shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the fat into the flour until resembles a coarse grain. Add the salt and then start adding the water gradually until it works together into a ball without being sticky. Knead lightly and put aside in a cool place.
- In a large bowl, toss together the filling ingredients (raw).
- Flour a flat surface and rolling pin. Divide pastry into 4 and roll out into a circular shape to about 1/4 inch thickness, 6 inc diameter.
- Spoon filling into 1/2 of the circle, leaving room to crimp edges of pastry together. Season filling with some salt and pepper, add a couple pats of butter and sprinkle with a bit of flour.
- Moisten edges of pastry with some water, and fold the pastry over to cover the filling. Press firmly to seal, roll edges upward and crimp to form a tight seal.
- Brush pasty with some egg wash or some milk. Cut a one inch slit in the top to vent pasty while cooking. Place on greased baking sheet. Cook at 425 F for the first 20 minutes, and then turn down to 325 and cook for an additional 40 minutes. If they start browning too quickly, loosely cover with a bit of foil.
- Let the pasties rest for about 15 minutes to slightly cool before serving.