Banana PuddingFrom pointsevenout 8 years ago
- 2/3c all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2c sugar, divided shopping list
- 1/2t salt shopping list
- 4c 2% reduced-fat milk shopping list
- 1 (4") vanilla bean, split lengthwise shopping list
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 8 large egg whites shopping list
- 80 vanilla wafers, about 1 (12 oz) box shopping list
- 5c sliced bananas, about 6 bananas shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1 1/4c sugar, and salt in a large sauce pan; stir with a whisk. Gradually add milk; stir until smooth. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add seeds and bean to milk mixture.
- Cook over medium heat 12 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Place eggs in a large bowl, if using vanilla extract beat it in with the eggs, gradually add hot milk mixture, stirring constantly. Place mixture in pan; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Discard vanilla bean.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Arrange half of vanilla wafers in the bottom of a 13 x 9" baking dish. Arrange half of banana slices over wafers. Pour half of custard over banana. Repeat procedure with remaining wafers, banana, and custard.
- Top with meringue, spread evenly to edge of dish.
- Bake at 325* for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve pudding warm or chilled.
- Serving size 3/4 cup; 289 calories; 16% from fat
- Very good and very sweet for a low fat low calorie dish.