Spinach and Caramelized Onion FritattaFrom myhusbandcooks 7 years ago
- 1 lbs frozen spinach * shopping list
- 8 large eggs shopping list
- 1 large onion (sliced) shopping list
- 1 cup grated gruyere shopping list
- 2 slices thick cut bacon shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. butter shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- * This is a something I keep around fairly often. It keeps well for long periods of time and makes this a dish that can be prepped and completed without a run to the store. I don’t see a problem swapping out fresh. I would use about 1 1/2 – 2 cups of chopped as a replacement.
- Thaw and drain spinach. You are trying to remove the excess moisture from the spinach If you use frozen, you can let it thaw in the microwave and then strain while caramelizing the onions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp. butter. Once the butter is melted add the onions and lightly salt. Let cook, while stirring every few minutes until the onions are dark brown (about 30-40 min).
- In a separate skillet, or after the onions, fry the bacon until crisp. Once cooked, slice it into pieces and set aside.
- NOTE: If you wanted to do this the night before, at this point you can stop and consider this just prep before cooking. Nothing made so far won’t keep.
- Preheat your broiler to high.
- In large pan (oven safe pan) over medium heat, add a small bit of olive oil to barely coat the pan. Once the olive oil shimmers (about 30 seconds), add the drained spinach and cook for about 4-5 min. It should be a deep green.
- While the spinach is cooking, in a large bowl, add the eggs and lightly beat. Add half of the cheese (1/2 cup), bacon, nutmeg, black pepper, and salt. Stir until integrated.
- Add to the spinach pan, the caramelized onions and cook for another 1 to 2 min.
- Add the egg to the pan and stir lightly for about 3 min. Once it begins to firm, add the remainder of the cheese to the top and place under the broiler until the top is golden brown and the cheese is melted. (Approx. 3-5 min, but check often around 2 min).
- Let cool for 2 to 3 min so the cheese sets. Slice like a pie and serve. Enjoy!
People Who Like This Dish 24
The Cookmyhusbandcooks Alexandria, VA
The Rating2 people
My daughter was at our house this weekend and made this for Sunday breakfast...it was a complete success! Since the tomatoes are so good right now, she added sliced tomaotes and some grated parmesan to the top - the flavor was excellent and this one...morekrumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it
Yumo!martinichef in Johnson City loved it