French Onion SoupFrom ravenseyes 8 years ago
- 2 large vidalia onions shopping list
- 2 large white onions shopping list
- 2 large sweet onion shopping list
- 1 red onion shopping list
- 1 stick butter shopping list
- 2 cloves minced garlic (optional) shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 8 cups good homemade beef stock (canned may be substituted) shopping list
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire shopping list
- 2 cups good Burgundy wine shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Slice all your onions do not chop them you want nice long slices of onion.
- In a large skillet 2 1/2" deep melt your stick of butter add your onions turn heat to medium to medium low and allow onions to carmelize - approximately 1 hour.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, and add wine. Cook over med high heat for 10 minutes or until wine reduces by 1/3 stirring constantly.
- Add beef stock and worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow soup to low simmer for another 60 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Place in french onion soup dishes add a slice of toasted french bread to the top and a slice of Gruyère cheese - place under the broiler until cheese comes to a nice bubbly brown and serve.