Smoked Eggplant Onion and Apple SoupFrom merlin 9 years ago
- 3 large globe eggplants shopping list
- 2 sweet onions shopping list
- 3 large sweet apples (not tart like granny Smith or Macintosh) shopping list
- 1 shallot minced shopping list
- 3 T. butter or lite butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 2 T. crushed garlic shopping list
- 1 t. Garam massala (an Indian spice mixture that can be found in any Indian store or in the Asian section of most supermarkets) shopping list
- 1 t. ground cumin shopping list
- 2-4 t. hot Indian curry powder, to taste shopping list
- 1 T. dried basil shopping list
- 2 qt. chicken stock shopping list
- ¼ c. cream sherry shopping list
- 12 sour cream (lite or non-fat OK) shopping list
- salt & hot sauce to taste shopping list
- pinch of sugar to taste shopping list
- Hickory or mesquite chips for smoking shopping list
How to make it
- Soak the wood chips in water for about an hour before making the fire. Prepare a wood or coal fire and add the wood chips. Rinse the eggplants; slice off the top leafy part and the bottom naval. Peel the onions Cut eggplants and onions in half and rub all sides generously with olive oil. Place eggplants directly flat side down on the grill. Put the onions on a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil to keep them together. Grill over indirect heat. Grill on both sides until the eggplants are spongy but not really soft and have nice grill marks. The onions should soften, but it not too important. You are trying to get a smoky flavor on the onions too. Remove both and chop coarsely.
- While the eggplants are grilling, sauté apples and in butter until soft. Add the garlic, basil, Garam massala, cumin and 2 t. of the curry powder. Cook over medium low heat, stirring 5 minutes. Watch that it doesn’t stick. Add the chicken stock and sherry. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook covered for 30 minutes. Turn off heat, add sour cream. Puree soup with a hand blender. Check the curry. Since curries are all individually blended they vary widely. You may need 1-2 t. more. Check for salt. Add a little hot sauce if needed and sugar or sweetener as needed.
The Cookmerlin San Francisco, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!