Best Ever Onion RingsFrom coffeebean53 8 years ago
How to make it
- Cut onions crosswise into 1/2-inch slices; pull apart into rings. (Refrigerate broken or end pieces for other uses.) Combine flour, paprika, salt and pepper in large bowl. Stir in 1 cup beer, beat with wire whisk until no longer foamy.
- Toss onion rings in batter. Transfer to plate, letting excess drip off.
- Deep-fried version
- Heat at least 2 inches oil in deep-fryer for 5 to 10 minutes or according to fryer directions. (If fryer has a temperature adjustment, set it at 375°F and heat until light goes out.) Drop batter-coated onion rings into hot oil (about 10 to 20 at a time). Fry 2 to 4 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels before serving.
- Oven Baked Version
- Heat about 1 tablespoon oil in large 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place about half the onion rings in single layer in heated skillet, cook until browned, turning once, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining onions. Transfer to ungreased shallow baking pans or cookie sheets, arranging in single layer. Bake at 425°F for 6 minutes, or until crisp.
- Variation: Add 2 teaspoons dried thyme, chili powder and ground cumin to batter. After baking or frying, sprinkle crispy rings with additional chili powder, ground cumin or bottled pepper blends, if desired.
The Cookcoffeebean53 Charlotte, NC
The Rating9 people
Okay decadent as any fried food is these top the list.Can never go wrong with beer,but this batter is very flavorfullll and crispy.A five if ever there was one!!!!They are going along with my sirloin and brown rice for dinner.Thanks.By the way whoeve...morenanny in Haddam loved it
Ooooweee!Lip smackin good.chefzilla in Hope loved it
These were really good! I didn't think the flavor was as over the top as "nanny" did but it was tastalicious for sure! My first couple of batches weren't as good b/c I was too worried about overcooking them - but my last batch was super brown and b...moreerisgrrrl in Bloomington loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!