Old-fashioned Burnt Sugar Caramel PieFrom debbie919 6 years ago
How to make it
- Caramelize 3/4 c. sugar, stirring until it's melted and a nice caramel color. Set aside.
- Combine remaining 3/4 c. sugar, flour, egg yolks, and whisk in milk gradually until mixture is smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Add the caramelized sugar, and stir like crazy!
- It will lump up, but it WILL melt and the mixture will be smooth again.
- Continue to cook and stir until smooth and very thick.
- Add vanilla, and a pat of butter, if you'd like.
- Pour into a baked 9 inch pie crust.
- Make meringue out of the egg whites, adding sugar to taste, and spread on top of pie. Bake until light brown.
- OR just forgo the meringue, and use whipped cream or whipped topping.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookdebbie919 Manahawkin, NJ
The Rating3 people
Thank you for the recipe. I had the good fortune to visit Charlotte's Eats and Sweets in Keo, AR. This is the same as the Caramel Pie I had there. It is delicious. I am so glad that you shared it!saygraceandeat in loved it
Thank you, thank you! Caramel is on the top of my list of favorite pies! I am always trying new recipes for caramel pie! They are all just a little different. Looking forward to this one.rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!