Basic Boiled Chicken Meat and StockFrom oldgringo 7 years ago
- 8 quarts water; to cover chicken shopping list
- 5 lbs whole chicken hen shopping list
- 1 onion; peeled and quartered shopping list
- 2 celery stalks; cut in pieces shopping list
- 1 carrot; cut in pieces shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 8 whole black peppercorns shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning shopping list
How to make it
- Place the ingredients in a large stewing pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken and reserve. Strain stock into sealable pint or quart containers. Can, freeze or refrigerate as you wish.
- Fat may be skimmed from the cold stock and used for other purposes or frozen for later use.
- Cover the drained chicken and chill thorough in the refrigerator.
- Remove the skin on the chicken and disjoint the bird. remove the meat from the joints in as large of pieces as possible discarding the cartilage and fat, etc. Chill the meat thoroughly before shredding, slicing or dicing.
- Gently shred, slice and/or dice the chicken meat as you require for other recipes. Discard the bones and carcass.