Oven finished Mac - CheeseFrom shirleyoma 6 years ago
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni shopping list
- 1 to 2 slices fresh sandwich bread (whole wheat or white for 1 cup crumbs) shopping list
- 8 ounces extra-sharp white cheddar cheese (2 cups shredded) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine (divided use) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon flour shopping list
- 1 cup skim milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon country Dijon mustard (optional) shopping list
- salt and black pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Using a food processor, process bread slices until just crumbled for soft bread crumbs. Set aside in a small bowl. Change blade attachment to grater and shred the cheese. You should have 2 cups. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine in a medium-size saucepan. Add flour and cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute as mixture forms a paste. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly, and cook for 3 minutes until mixture thickens slightly. (You will have a few lumps.) Add mustard and cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Remove sauce from heat until macaroni is done.
- When noodles are just tender, remove from heat and drain thoroughly. Turn on oven broiler and position top rack 3 to 4 inches from heat source.
- Spray a 2-quart or larger casserole dish with cooking-oil spray and pour cooked macaroni into dish. Add cheese sauce and stir to mix well.
- Melt remaining butter in microwave oven on High (100 percent power) for 10 to 20 seconds. Drizzle butter over reserved bread crumbs and toss to coat. Sprinkle buttered crumbs over macaroni and place dish under broiler until crumbs are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 servings.
- PER SERVING: Calories 339 (45% fat) Fat 17 g (10 g sat) Cholesterol 44 mg Sodium 322 mg Fiber 1 g Carbohydrates 32 g Protein 14 g
The Cookshirleyoma Cove, OR
The Rating1 people
yummy, this sounds wonderful!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it