Golden Red Lentil SoupFrom mystic_river1 7 years ago
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 6 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 2 onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 pound dried red lentils shopping list
- 1/4 cup long-grain white rice shopping list
- 12 cups water shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, plus more to taste shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice shopping list
- Italian parsley sprigs, for garnish. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a very large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the celery, carrots, and onions.
- Saute until the onions are light caramel color, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils and rice and the water.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer until the lentils are very soft, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon pepper, seasoned salt, salt, black pepper, and cumin.
- Simmer uncovered until the flavors blend, the lentils have fallen apart, and the mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Season the soup to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with Italian parsley sprigs and serve.