Fried Green TomatoesFrom vino4dino 9 years ago
- 24 slices fresh green tomatoes, 1/4-inch thick each (about 6 large green tomatoes) shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 2 tablespoons milk shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions, green part only, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Season the tomatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Place the 1 cup of the flour in a small bowl with the cornstarch and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. In a third bowl, combine the remaining 2/3 cup flour, the cornmeal, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of Essence. Dredge each slice of tomato in the flour mixture. Dip each slice in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Finally, dredge each slice in the cornmeal mixture, coating completely.
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the tomatoes, in batches, until golden and crispy on both sides, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of oil to the saute pan as needed, preheating the oil before frying the tomatoes. Remove the browned tomatoes and drain on paper towels. Season lightly with salt, to taste.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookvino4dino Baltimore, MD
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!