WILD MUSHROOM POTATO GRATINFrom vino4dino 7 years ago
- 1/2 lb fresh wild or exotic mushrooms such as chanterelles or shiitakes (discard shiitake stems), trimmed and coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 3/4 lb fresh cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic shopping list
- 3 lb russet (baking) potatoes shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 2 oz finely grated Gruyère (1 cup) shopping list
How to make it
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 400°F.
- Cook chanterelles or shiitakes with salt and pepper to taste in 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes, then transfer to a bowl. Cook cremini in remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in skillet, stirring, until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes, then transfer to bowl with wild mushrooms. Toss mushrooms with 1 teaspoon garlic.
- Peel potatoes and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices (preferably with an adjustable-blade slicer). Bring potatoes, cream, milk, salt, white pepper, nutmeg, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic to a boil in a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot, stirring once or twice, then remove from heat.
- Transfer half of potatoes to buttered gratin dish with a slotted spoon, spreading evenly. Spread mushrooms evenly over potatoes, then top with remaining potatoes. Pour cooking liquid over potatoes and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake gratin until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender, 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
The Cookvino4dino Baltimore, MD
The Rating4 people
another wonderful combo! Got my 5mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
I love this recipe, thanks for posting :)hayleesgrandma in Waldron loved it
Tasted great and was easy to make. I loved the flavor of the mushrooms and garlic!grifo in Valrico loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!