Kohlsuppe - Cabbage SoupFrom julesong 9 years ago
How to make it
- Put the chopped cabbage and the broth in the crockpot, on high; simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- In a sauté pan, cook the bacon slices until crisp; remove, chop roughly, and set aside.
- Sauté the onion in the bacon drippings until soft.
- Add the chopped bacon, onion, potato, and salt and pepper to the crockpot.
- Cook on high for an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours hours, until the cabbage reaches the texture you prefer.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- Notes: would also be good with some dill weed or caraway added, or even kielbasa slices, if you like; I also added a 1 once cube of concentrated frozen duck stock, but as most folks don't have it in their freezer I didn't include it in the ingredient list; you could simmer this in a heavy pot on the stove for an hour instead of the crockpot, too.