Roasted Root Vegetables and Acorn Squash with White Beans and Autumn PistouFrom cleverusername 6 years ago
- FOR THE BEANS: shopping list
- white beans (1 lb bag, quick-soaked or soaked overnight) shopping list
- 1 onion, quartered shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves shopping list
- 2-3 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks shopping list
- 1-2 celery ribs, cut into 1 inch chunks shopping list
- bouquet garni (I use sage, bay, thyme, rosemary, and flat parsley) shopping list
- FOR THE PISTOU: shopping list
- A generous bunch of flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh rosemary shopping list
- 1-2 tbsp fresh thyme shopping list
- 1-2 garlic cloves shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- FOR THE roastED VEGGIES: shopping list
- 4-5 large carrots, wedged lenthwise shopping list
- 4-5 parsnips, wedged lengthwise shopping list
- 2-3 leeks, cleaned and quartered lenthwise (white and light green parts only) shopping list
- 1 turnip, wedged lengthwise shopping list
- 1 large acorn squash (carnival looks pretty), halved and seeded, then wedged lengthwise shopping list
- 1 onion, wedged thinly shopping list
- 2-3 celery ribs, in thick diagonal slices shopping list
How to make it
- Soak your white beans, and then cook them in a pot with the quartered onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and bouquet garni, until veggies are soft.
- To roast your veggies, toss them all with olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Roase at 400 until browning and caramelized (about an hour), stirring when needed.
- While the vegs are roasting, make the pistou: Put the parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme into a food processor or blender with garlic and pulse until finely chopped. Pour a stream of olive oil into the herb mixture while the processor is running until you get pesto consistancy.
- Pick the veggies out of the bean pot, and drain the beans, reserving some of the cooking liquid, which you will then add to the pistou until it's rather saucy. Season the pistou sauce to taste. Pour the beans into a large casserole dish or serving bowl or platter, then pour the veggies on top, and then the pistou over the veggies.