Fennel Soup With Cream And BaconFrom smurfetta 8 years ago
- 10 oz slab bacon, trimmed or rind, cut into 1/4 in cubes shopping list
- vegetable oil (optional) shopping list
- 2 C chopped onions shopping list
- 4 Medium fennel bulbs coarsely chopped & trimmed shopping list
- 6 C chicken stock shopping list
- 1 C + 9 Tbsp creme fraiche (recipe follows) shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1/3 C snipped fresh chives or chopped green onion (green part) shopping list
- Creme Fraiche: shopping list
- 1 1/2 C whipping cream shopping list
- 1/2 C sour cream shopping list
How to make it
- Cook bacon in heavy Dutch oven over medium heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to paper towels using slotted spoon.
- If necessary, add enough oil to pan drippings to measure 1/4 cup Add onion and cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add fennel and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken stock. and simmer until vegetables are tender, 35 - 40 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in processor or blender until smooth.
- Heat soup over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in one cup creme fraiche.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into heated bowls or bread bowls.
- Spoon 1 1/2 Tbsp creme fraiche atop each. garnish with chives and bacon.
- For Creme Fraiche:
- Blend cream and sour cream in medium bowl. cover and let stand at room temperature until thickened to consistency of sour cream, about 6 hours. Refrigerate until ready to use