Souffle Chocolate Cake 2From recipediva 9 years ago
- SOUFFLE chocolate cake PART: shopping list
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stuck) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cognac shopping list
- 6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature shopping list
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided shopping list
- chocolate GLAZE: shopping list
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1/3 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons honey shopping list
- ASSEMBLY: shopping list
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves shopping list
- GARNISH: shopping list
- 3 ounces milk chocolate, melted shopping list
How to make it
- Make the flourless chocolate cake:
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper; butter the paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chocolate and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the chocolate and butter are melted. Gently whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the cognac. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar until well blended. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture.
- In the 4 1/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer, using the wire whip attachment, beat the egg whites at medium speed until frothy. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat the egg whites until soft peaks start to form. One tablespoon at a time, beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Continue beating until the egg whites are still but not dry.
- Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture in 3 additions. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is puffed and a tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, cut around the sides of the cake to loosen it. Release the pan side. Invert the cake onto a wire rack. Peel off the parchment paper and cool the cake completely. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight ( let it sit a few hours then glaze. I dont like it cold fudge like, I like it airy and light)
- MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- Place the chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a gentle boil. Using a wire whisk, stir in the honey. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and let the mixture stand for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Cover the surface of the glaze with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap from the cake. Place the cake on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Using a metal spatula, spread the raspberry preserves evenly over the top and sides of the cake Pour the chocolate glaze over the cake, covering it completely; spread evenly with a metal spatula. Drizzle the top of the glazed cake with the melted milk chocolate. Serve the cake immediately, or refrigerate. Bring the cake to room temperature before serving.