John Waynes Green Chile Cheese CasseroleFrom julesong 9 years ago
- 2 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies shopping list
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, coarsely grated shopping list
- 4 egg whites shopping list
- 4 egg yolks shopping list
- 2/3 cup undiluted evaporated milk shopping list
- 1 Tbsp flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (or enough to circle casserole dish) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated cheeses and green chilies. Pour into a well-buttered shallow 2-quart casserole.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the egg whites just until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
- In a small bowl, combine the yolks, milk, flour, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Fold the stiff whites into the yolk mixture with a rubber scraper.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese mixture. Take a knife or fork and gently separate spots in the cheese mixture, allowing the egg mixture to penetrate the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degree F for 30 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven and arrange the sliced tomatoes around edge.
- Bake 30 minutes longer, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.