Vegetarian Shepherds PieFrom flavorsofitaly 9 years ago
- * 5 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into thirds shopping list
- * 4 tablespoons butter shopping list
- * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- * ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- * 2 cups milk shopping list
- * 3 cups water shopping list
- * 1/2 cup kasha (toasted buckwheat groats) shopping list
- * 2/3 cup bulgur shopping list
- * 2 cups chopped onion shopping list
- * 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- * 2 carrots, diced shopping list
- * 2 cups fresh sliced mushroom shopping list
- * 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- * 1 cup whole corn kernels, blanched shopping list
- * 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Gently boil potatoes in a large pot of water for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and return to the pot. Mash potatoes with 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup milk until fairly smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water with 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in kasha. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups more water, and bring to a boil. Add bulgur, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3. In a large saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and carrots; saute until the onions soften. Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables; stir constantly for 2 minutes, or until flour starts to brown. Pour remaining 1 1/2 cups milk over the vegetables, and increase heat to high. Stir with a whisk until sauce is smooth. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in corn, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste.
- 4. Mix together vegetable mixture and kasha mixture in a large bowl. Spoon into a buttered 10 inch pie pan, and smooth with a spatula. Spread mashed potatoes over top, leaving an uneven surface.
- 5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Garnish with the chopped parsley, and serve.