GOURMET TIN FOIL DINNERSFrom notyourmomma 9 years ago
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts shopping list
- 4 red or green bell peppers (or use a mixture of red and green) shopping list
- 4 red onions or sweet white onions shopping list
- 4 medium zucchini shopping list
- 1-2 pounds medium white mushrooms (or portabella mushrooms cut in pieces) shopping list
- (You can vary the veggie amounts to your own taste) shopping list
- marinade/Sauce: shopping list
- 3/4 cup of olive oil shopping list
- 1/3 cup of sherry vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 cup of vermouth or white wine shopping list
- 1/3 teaspoon of dried oregano shopping list
- 1/3 teaspoon of dried marjoram shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon of crumbled rosemary leaves shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon of crumbled dried mint shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of seasoned salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon pepper mix shopping list
- 1/4 cup of romano cheese shopping list
- 2 tbsp of Dijon mustard shopping list
- (adapted from Kalyn's low carb recipe-Kaylyn uses bottled low sugar dressing -Paul Newman's + a pack of Good seasons dressing mix combined, I prefer to make my own marinade and reduce the salt.) shopping list
How to make it
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breasts and cut into pieces 1 1/2 inches square. Wash peppers and zucchini, peel onions, and cut into pieces the same size as the chicken. Wash mushrooms, dry with paper towel, and cut in half if large. Put all ingredients into zip-loc bag.
- (You will need two large bags if you make the whole batch of this.) Mix marinade ingredients and pour over veggie/chicken mixture. Marinate in cooler 4 hours or longer.
- To cook, burn a campfire until you have some good glowing coals and the flames have died down (or you can use charcoal if you have one of those great outdoor portable grills).
- Tear 16 pieces of heavy duty tin foil into pieces about 15" long. Put a mixture of chicken and veggies on a piece of foil, fold foil over and roll up ends, then turn the packet over and wrap again in a second piece of foil.
- (You can also make larger packets with more than one serving in each, but they cook a little faster in individual serving size packets.) Cook over coals or charcoal 20-30 minutes, turning every 3-5 minutes or so to prevent burning and sticking.
- I wish I knew a good way to tell when these are done without unwrapping one, but I haven't mastered that yet.
- The amount of time will depend on how hot your coals are, so start checking after about 15 minutes by gently unwrapping one packet (using tongs so you don't burn your fingers).
- Serve this with "camping salad": Place cut up cucumbers, black olives and cherry tomatoes in a zip-loc bag. Pour your favorite salad dressing over (personal favorite is blue cheese). Serve right out of the bag for no clean up. It doesn't have much in visuals with the creamy dressing and the cherry tomatoes and black olives but don't let that deter you. Tastes great.