Scottish Cranberry-Buttermilk SconesFrom lor 9 years ago
- 3 cups Unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar shopping list
- 1-3/4 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 10 Tbsp. (1-1/4 sticks) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries shopping list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 1 tsp. water shopping list
How to make it
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375.
- Butter two 9" diameter cake pans.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add butter, rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add cranberries.
- Whisk buttermilk and 2 eggs in small bowl.
- Stir into dry ingredients.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently just until soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces.
- Form each piece into ball.
- Transfer each ball to 1 prepared pan; press out dough into 8" diameter round.
- Using sharp knife, score top of each round into 8 wedges.
- Whisk remaining egg with 1 tsp. water in a small bowl.
- Brush mixture over scones.
- Sprinkle with 2 tsp. sugar.
- Bake scones until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Invert scones onto platters.
- Turn right side up.
- Cut along score marks. Serve warm.
- Best served warm.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating2 people
I can't believe my eyes 8-0 My Mum always makes scones and your recipe is the best. I'm going to try making these and it will be a first for me. Thanks so much for your 5 recipe.mishi in loved it
Yes, this is it. This is the scone recipe you promised to make me and mail them overseas LOL LOL LOL They'd be a mess by the time I received them or if I received them. Brilliant 5 fork recipe Lor.gullion in Glasgow loved it