Scottish Cranberry-Buttermilk SconesFrom lor 8 years ago
- 3 cups Unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar shopping list
- 1-3/4 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 10 Tbsp. (1-1/4 sticks) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries shopping list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 1 tsp. water shopping list
How to make it
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375.
- Butter two 9" diameter cake pans.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add butter, rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add cranberries.
- Whisk buttermilk and 2 eggs in small bowl.
- Stir into dry ingredients.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently just until soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces.
- Form each piece into ball.
- Transfer each ball to 1 prepared pan; press out dough into 8" diameter round.
- Using sharp knife, score top of each round into 8 wedges.
- Whisk remaining egg with 1 tsp. water in a small bowl.
- Brush mixture over scones.
- Sprinkle with 2 tsp. sugar.
- Bake scones until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Invert scones onto platters.
- Turn right side up.
- Cut along score marks. Serve warm.
- Best served warm.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating2 people
Yes, this is it. This is the scone recipe you promised to make me and mail them overseas LOL LOL LOL They'd be a mess by the time I received them or if I received them. Brilliant 5 fork recipe Lor.gullion in Glasgow loved it
I can't believe my eyes 8-0 My Mum always makes scones and your recipe is the best. I'm going to try making these and it will be a first for me. Thanks so much for your 5 recipe.mishi in loved it