Slim Jim clone 1 in a smokerFrom putercop 6 years ago
- If you intend to make them regularly, you need to make up a batch of Prague Powder No. 1 which is: shopping list
- 1 oz of sodium nitrate to 16 oz of salt or 1.25 oz potassium nitrate to 1 lb of salt shopping list
- Or you can buy it ready mixed from a sausage maker at a much higher price. If you mix your own, REALLY mix it. Put it into a container and shake and roll it for 5 minutes. Then LABEL it so that it is not used accidentally for table salt. shopping list
- 10 lbs of fine ground beef shopping list
- 4 T. HOT Hungarian paprika (if you can't find it use regular paprika but double the cayenne) shopping list
- 1 Cup powdered milk shopping list
- 1/2 Cup Powdered buttermilk shopping list
- 5 Tbs hot mustard shopping list
- 5 Tbs Non-iodized sale shopping list
- 2 Tbs powdered sugar or corn starch (I use the corn starch for a smoother better held consistency) shopping list
- 2 Tbs garlic powder shopping list
- 1 Tbs ground celery seed shopping list
- 1 Tbs onion powder shopping list
- 1 Tbs ground cayenne pepper shopping list
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tsp Prague Powder No. 1 shopping list
- 2 tsp allspice shopping list
- 1 tsp ground thyme shopping list
- 18 mm natural/collagen casing .100 feet of casing shopping list
How to make it
- Mix all ingredients well and let sit for an 30 min.
- Stuff into casings.
- Smoke with your favorite wood atl 150-155°. If you smoke for 20-24 hours you will increase the tanginess of the taste. For less tangy, cut the smoking time in half.
- Makes approx 100 feet of sticks.
- To test the taste make a small patty before stuffing and fry to test the flavor. This will give you the basic flavor without the smoke taste.