Chocolate Roll with Chocolate Ganache FillingFrom grizzlybear 8 years ago
- Ingredients - chocolate Roll: shopping list
- 6 extra large eggs, separated shopping list
- 8 ounces dark semi-sweet chocolate shopping list
- 1/4 cup strong coffee shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- Ingredients - Filling: shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups whipping cream shopping list
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate shopping list
How to make it
- Bake in oiled, paper-lined jelly roll pan. (You can use parchment paper or brown paper bag cut to size). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt chocolate in coffee over hot water and cool. (Can be done in a Pyrex graduate in the microwave.) Beat egg yolks until lemon-colored and add sugar and chocolate. Beat egg whites until stiff and carefully fold into chocolate mixture until no trace of white remains. Spread in oiled, paper-lined pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let cake stay in oven for 5 minutes longer. Cover with 2 damp paper towels and chill. To remove, dust top with confectioners sugar and loosen edges with a knife, then invert onto waxed paper or plastic wrap. Spread with filling and roll up lengthwise, using plastic wrap to help roll it and hold it together. Freezes well. Serve with whipped cream and decorate with chocolate curls.
- Filling: Bring cream to boil in heavy large saucepan. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. (This can be done in a glass graduate in the microwave) Chill ganache about one hour until just beginning to firm. Beat ganache until light and fluffy and use to fill chocolate roll. You can add 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam and 1/4 cup framboise to hot chocolate mixture if desired.