Savory Butternut Squash With Onion and PecanFrom julesong 8 years ago
- 1 cup chopped pecans shopping list
- 2 slices bacon shopping list
- 2 teaspoons butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage shopping list
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled,seeded,and cubed shopping list
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chopped pecans in an even layer on ungreased non-stick baking sheet; bake at 350 degrees F for 7 minutes.
- While pecans are toasting, cook the bacon in a large, heavy skillet until it is crisp; remove bacon, crumble it, and set aside.
- Add the butter and oil to the bacon drippings and stir in the onion and garlic, cook over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes; stir in the ground sage.
- Add the cubed squash, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add half of the toasted pecans and the basil and stir carefully to mix well (avoid breaking up the squash).
- Place in a serving dish and sprinkle with crumbled bacon, remaining pecans, and Parmesan, and serve.
- Note: crumbled Gorgonzola is also good in place of the Parmesan!