Zucchini And Eggplant RigatoniFrom panda 9 years ago
- 1 large zucchini -- sliced in 1/4" half moons shopping list
- 1/2 medium eggplant -- cubed shopping list
- 1 large onion -- chopped shopping list
- 1 bell pepper -- seeded & chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic -- minced shopping list
- 3 tablespoons water -- (more as needed) shopping list
- 12-14 ounces tofu -- (lowfat) mashed shopping list
- 1/4 cup pine nuts shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (divided) shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (divided) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes -- (optional) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt -- (divided) shopping list
- 8 ounces pasta -- rigatoni or other small tubular pasta shopping list
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes (fire roasted, if available) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- soy Parmesan (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Boil pasta according to package directions, cooking until just barely tender (a little undercooked is better than overcooked). When it's done, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water before draining the pasta.
- While the pasta's cooking, sauté the eggplant, zucchini, onions, bell pepper and garlic in 2 tbsp. water in a nonstick pan over medium heat, adding more water if needed to prevent sticking.
- When the vegetables are tender, add the reserved pasta cooking water, 1 tsp. basil, 1 tsp. oregano, the rosemary, 1 tsp. salt, tomatoes, and tomato sauce; stir, and keep warm.
- Combine the mashed tofu with the pine nuts, parsley, nutritional yeast, and remaining basil, oregano, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir the cooked rigatoni into the tofu.
- Lightly coat a 4-quart casserole with vegetable oil spray. Spread a thin layer of the vegetable mixture over the bottom (you just want a little sauce there to keep the pasta from sticking). Place a layer of half the pasta mixture, then cover with half the sautéed vegetables; repeat layers.
- Cover the casserole and bake it for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 15 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with soy Parmesan cheese, if you want.