Blue Onion Bistros Macaroni and Blue Cheese With ChivesFrom julesong 9 years ago
- 1 lb uncooked spiral tube-shaped pasta shopping list
- 1 teaspoon olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 2 cups whole milk shopping list
- 1 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled blue cheese, divided (Maytag or Danish) shopping list
- salt & freshly ground black pepper or tricolor pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 dash cayenne, to taste (optional) shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh chives shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; butter a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally; drain and set aside (about 8 minutes).
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large heavy saucepan over medium low heat, melt the olive oil and butter together; add the flour and, stirring constantly, cook for 1 minute (don't let it brown), then gradually whisk in the milk and cream.
- Simmer mixture until it slightly thickens, whisking occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to low, then gradually stir in the grated cheddar and 1 cup of the blue cheese and cook, stirring, until the cheese melts.
- Season to taste with salt, freshly ground pepper, and cayenne (if using).
- Stir in the cooked pasta, making sure it's well-coated with the sauce.
- Pour mixture into the buttered baking dish, sprinkle with the reserved 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the minced chives and serve.
- Note: also good with a serving of caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms; also, you can use 2% or skim milk instead of whole, but using whole is how they make it at the restaurant.
People Who Like This Dish 24
The Cookjulesong Seattle, WA
The Rating5 people
Very good stuff, thanks for the post.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it