Baked Penne with Sausage and GarlicFrom bluexoxo 8 years ago
- 2 whole garlic heads or 3 tbs of crushed garlic shopping list
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine shopping list
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 6 cups 1% low-fat milk shopping list
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh parmesan cheese shopping list
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded Gruyère or swiss cheese shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 8 cups hot cooked penne (about 1 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta) or rigatoni shopping list
- cooking spray shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic heads (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap each head separately in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Set garlic aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Place sausage in a large bowl; stir in sage and rosemary.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add the flour to melted butter, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the milk; cook until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk (about 10 minutes). Stir in roasted garlic, cheeses, salt, and pepper. Remove mixture from heat. Add 5 1/2 cups cheese sauce and cooked pasta to sausage, stirring to coat. Spoon pasta mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining sauce. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
The Cookbluexoxo Willow Grove, PA
The Rating3 people
yummy :)kimbaby in Live Oak loved it
Whoooot! This sounds great, what a great combination of flavors and I can just see my family ripping into this. They love cheese sauce and they are sausage fans! I know this would be a family pleasing favorite. Thanks for the addition to our week...morenotyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!