Funnel cakesFrom grizzlybear 9 years ago
- one and one-third cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- one-quarter cup sugar shopping list
- one and one-quarter teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- one-half teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- one-quarter teaspoon salt shopping list
- two and one-half cups cold milk shopping list
- three large eggs, beaten shopping list
- one-half teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- one quart canola oil, for deep frying shopping list
- three-quarters cup confectioner’s sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir by hand just until the batter is evenly moistened.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees in a deep pan or deep fryer. Drizzle one-quarter cup of batter into the oil in a spiral pattern; form a loose cake approximately 4 inches in diameter. (Allow the oil to regain the proper temperature between batches.)
- Fry until golden brown on the first side, about 30 seconds. Using metal tongs, turn the cake over and fry until golden brown on the second side, about 30 seconds. Remove the cake from the oil with metal tongs or a wire mesh skimmer and drain on paper towels. While making the remaining funnel cakes, place completed ones on a paper towel-lined baking sheet in a warm oven. Dust with confectioner’s sugar while warm and serve immediately.