Turkey sausage and lentil soupFrom danerin2 9 years ago
- 1 pound ground turkey (breast meat only will make it lowest in fat) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (divided) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper (divided) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (divided) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning (divided) shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon white wine shopping list
- 4 scallions, chopped shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, chopped shopping list
- 2 celery stalks, chopped shopping list
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped (divided) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 8 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils, rinsed shopping list
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves shopping list
How to make it
- First, make the turkey sausage by mixing into the ground turkey meat half of the spices and garlic and the white wine. (You can cook a tiny bit to taste and add more spices if you like.)
- Let turkey sausage sit while you prepare the vegetables so the flavors can come together.
- Saute scallions, carrots and celery in oil until translucent but not brown.
- Add remaining garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add turkey and brown it, breaking it up into clumps.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes to pan, breaking tomatoes up into chunks with your hands.
- Add remaining spices.
- Add lentils and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
- Add spinach leaves and stir.
- Taste and correct seasonings.