Oyster Stuffing or DressingFrom mystic_river1 7 years ago
- 1 pound loaf of white bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes shopping list
- 2 cups Spanish onions, medium diced shopping list
- 1 cup celery, medium diced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 3/4 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1/4 cup milk shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 24 pieces of shucked Bluepoint oysters shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- the cook time is for as long as it takes to cook your turkey! shopping list
How to make it
- Yield: Enough Stuffing for 1 Turkey
- Dry cut bread cubes overnight or toast in a low temp oven until crisp.
- Melt 1/2 the butter in a medium skillet.
- Add onions and celery, cooking until onions are translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, sage, thyme and nutmeg; cook for 30 seconds more.
- Combine cooked vegetables with bread cubes, parsley, stock, milk and eggs, mixing gently.
- Fold in Oysters.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- This stuffing can be made up to 2 days in advance (but do not stuff into poultry until just before cooking).
- If not stuffing into poultry for roasting, transfer mixture to a large oiled baking dish, dot surface with pats of remaining butter.
- Take a piece of wax paper and lightly oil both sides and place of top of stuffing. Bake in a 350°F oven until crisp on top and stuffing temperature reaches 160°F.