Macaroni with OlivesFrom flavorsofitaly 8 years ago
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, minced shopping list
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced shopping list
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped, or 1 lb drained canned tomatoes, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup black olives, or 1/3 cup each black and green olives, halved and pitted shopping list
- 2 Tbl capers, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar shopping list
- 2 Tbl fresh oregano, or 2 tsp dried shopping list
- Pinch of sugar shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 lb fusilli pasta or other short macaroni shopping list
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil, onion, and garlic in a large skillet and cook over moderately low heat until softened but not browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, vinegar, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. Be careful with the salt since olives and capers are salty.
- Cook the fusilli in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente (firm to the bite). Drain and mix with the sauce. Sprinkle on the cheese and serve immediately with additional cheese on the side if desired.