Winging ItFrom notyourmomma 8 years ago
- 3-4 lbs. of chicken wings disjointed, tips reserved and frozen for use in homemade stock, keep joints one and two *drummies and skinnies in our house* for the marinade shopping list
- equal parts of fresh lime juice, soy sauce (about 3/4 cup each for 3 lbs. of wings; 1 cup each for 4 lbs.) shopping list
- 1/2 cup of dark spiced rum, increase if making larger portion shopping list
- fresh minced garlic and grated fresh ginger, aim for twice the amount of garlic to ginger ratio, i.e. 3 tbsp of garlic and 1 1/2 tbsp of ginger is recommended for 3 lbs. of meat shopping list
- 1 tsp of dried thyme shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of allspice shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/8 cup of Pickapeppa Sauce shopping list
- 4 cups of vegetable oil (peanut for deep frying) shopping list
- 3 cups of seasoned flour (2 tsp of adobo seasoning and 1 tsp of cayenne pepper to every 3 cups of flour) shopping list
How to make it
- Day one:
- Mix the lime juice, soy sauce, rum, garlic, ginger, pickapeppa sauce and spices in large measuring cup.
- Joint the wings, save the tips, divide the remaining pieces between two extra heavy duty plastic zip closing gallon bags.
- Divide the marinade between the two bag of chicken pieces.
- Seal close and mush around.
- Set in a deep pan just in case they leak and marinate for 24 hours.
- Day Two:
- Remove chicken from marinade and drain. Allow to come to room temperature. Heat the oil to 375 degrees.
- Shake the wing pieces in seasoned flour.
- Deep Fry in small batches until deeply golden brown. About 12-15 minutes per small batch. Don't crowd and cool off your oil too much.
- Alternately, you can bake these in a hot 375 degree oven on a rack over a cookie sheet for 35-40 minutes, turning once or twice until brown and crispy.
- Serve with a coconut milk/lime dipping sauce and jicama sticks