Pea and Ham SoupFrom barneyhawes 7 years ago
- 1 tablespoon veg oil shopping list
- 1 onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 stick of celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 ham hock, about 250g (9oz) shopping list
- 250g (9oz) split peas shopping list
- 1.1 litres (2 pints) water shopping list
- 6 black peppercorns shopping list
- 4 sprigs thyme shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan and cook the onion and celery until soft. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1½ hours, by when the peas will have broken up and the ham will be falling from the bone.
- Remove and discard the peppercorns, thyme and bay leaf. Take out the ham hock, remove the fat and cut into 1 inch pieces. Puree the soup.
- When ready to serve, re-heat the soup (without boiling) and serve with the ham scattered on top.