GnocchiFrom nikchick 7 years ago
How to make it
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, add enough water to cover and add 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until easily pierced with the point of a knife. When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes then pass through a potato ricer directly into a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, egg, Romano cheese and flour. Start with about 1 cup of flour and add more a bit at a time as needed. You may not use the whole amount of flour: mix the dough together with your hands until it all sticks together. It will be a bit sticky.
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly floured work surface and knead gently, adding a little more flour if the dough sticks heavily to the work surface or your hands. The dough should come together fully in no more than 4 or 5 minutes. The dough is ready when it is soft and just a bit sticky.
- Cut the dough into chunks the size of a small apple or fist. Lightly roll out each chunk into a rope, using a back and forth motion with both hands. The rope should be about as thick as your thumb. Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces, dust lightly with flour and roll gently with a floured fork to create ridges, or simply dimple each piece a finger to create a little "pillow".
- Place prepared gnocchi on a baking sheet that has been lined with floured coffee filters or parchment. They can be cooked immediately or kept in the refrigerator overnight until ready to cook.
- To boil the gnocchi, use a large pot with plenty of water, 5 to 6 quarts for 4 servings, so they will not stick together. Bring the water to a boil, add one tablespoon of salt and all the gnocchi. Do not stir. When they float they should be done. With a slotted spoon, remove floating gnocchi to a colander. Serve with sauce of your choice.
People Who Like This Dish 15
- insptrsmith Nowhere, Us
- momo_55grandma Mountianview, AR
- witka4 Vermilion, CA
- heididouth Upper Mills, CA
- nicolehartley Enderby, CA
- namenotavailable Syracuse, NY
- hethejoy Drobeta Turnu-Severin, RO
- bmecham Bountiful, UT
- geckofiend Columbus, OH
- keithesta Gordonsville, TN
- Plus 5 othersFrom around the world!