Stove-Top Short RibsFrom dariana 7 years ago
- 4 to 5 lb. bone-in beef short ribs, 3 lb. boneless beef short ribs or one 3-lb. beef chuck roast shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or cooking oil shopping list
- 3 large white or red onions, sliced into 1/2-inch rings shopping list
- 1 14-oz. can beef broth shopping list
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth shopping list
- 2 lb. small yukon gold potatoes shopping list
- 1 lb. small carrots, peeled shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour shopping list
How to make it
- Trim fat from meat; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven brown beef in hot oil over medium heat. Drain off fat; discard. Add onions, broth, and wine.
- Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 1 hour. Add whole potatoes. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 45 minutes. Add carrots. Cover; cook 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender, spooning juices over meat and vegetables twice during cooking.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer meat and vegetables to serving platter. Skim fat from juices. If necessary, add water to juices to equal 1-1/2 cups. Return juices to pan. In screw-top jar combine the cup water and flour. Cover; shake to combine. Add to juices in pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened; cook and stir 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon over meat and vegetables. Makes 6 servings.