Spicy Turkey KuzhambhuFrom vvskgn 9 years ago
- turkey with bones-1 pound (turkey with bones tastes better) shopping list
- For gravy paste:- (To be roasted and ground with warm water) shopping list
- 1 handful- unsalted peanuts shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, shopping list
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds shopping list
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds shopping list
- 4-Dry red chillis (1 for Tempering) shopping list
- 2-Medium onion (1 roughly chopped for the gravy and 1 sliced for saute) shopping list
- 1 Tomato- roughly chopped, shopping list
- 3 Thai chillis , shopping list
- 3-garlic shopping list
- 1/2 "ginger shopping list
- Curry leaves- 5 ( 2 for Tempering) shopping list
- 4 tblsp- Unsweetend coconut grated shopping list
- 1"-cinnamon stick, shopping list
- 3 green cardamom shopping list
- salt-1 1/2 tbsps shopping list
- oil-5 tbsps shopping list
- cilantro-1/2 cup for garnish shopping list
- 1/4 tsp Tumeric shopping list
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds-Tempering shopping list
- 1 tbl.sp lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tbl. sp tamarind pulp or paste shopping list
- Brown sugar- 1/2 tsp. shopping list
- 1& 1/2 - 2 cups hot water for dilution. shopping list
- Marinade: shopping list
- Marinate the cut left over turkey with a pinch of tumeric, red chili powder, salt and lemon juice for atleast 20-30 min. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. In a warm pan, pour little bit of oil to saute the gravy items.
- 2. Start with Cinnamon stick, Cardamom pods & then the fennel seeds.
- 3. Then add the raw peanuts, roast well.
- 4. Then add garlic, ginger and then onion. Saute for a sec. adding a pinch of salt.
- 5. Then add Peppercorns, Coriander seeds, Curry leaves, Red chilies. Roast well.
- 6. Then add the shredded coconut, saute for a second and take it out of the heat.
- 7. Cool for a few min. and grind it in a blender with warm water to a smooth paste along with chopped tomatoes and keep it aside.
- 8. In a another wide sauce pan, add a the rest of the oil, once warm add Mustard seeds, once it starts spluttering add the curry leaves. Break the red chillies and add to it.
- 9. Add the rest of the tumeric and then add the sliced onions.
- 10. Now add the marinated Turkey and saute well.
- 11. Add 1 & 1/2 cups of hot water, then the tamarind pulp, salt and sugar.
- 12. Boil well for 10 min.
- 13. Reduce the heat and add the ground gravy mixture.
- 14. Mix well and bring up the heat to medium high.
- 15. Once it starts to bubble well, check for seasonings.
- 16. If its too thick add a little more water.
- 16. Let it simmer for 35 min. at medium high.
- 17. Add chopped cilantro, mix well and turn off the heat after a min.
- 18. You can leave it in the warm stove. It will only enhance the taste.
- 1. Its a super spicy, tangy dish to go with steamed rice. This recipe is great done in a pressure cooker. The meat literally falls apart when you cook it this way. If you do it in the pressure cooker this dish can be done in 20 min.
- 2. Always use hot or warm water to cook and grind. It keeps the dish from spoiling. Use caution while grinding!!
- 3. If you are going to prepare this dish with fresh Chicken or Turkey you have to marinate it overnight.
- 4. It can be done in a Crock pot too.
- I know its elaborate but its worth the effort. Enjoy & Good eats!
The Cookvvskgn Foster City, CA
Southern Indian Cooking124 members
CrockPots Are Cool Again856 members
Cuisine Of India175 members
Fiery NOT9 members
Garlic Lovers460 members
Indian Flavors And Recipes263 members
Asian Foods237 members
Cilantro Lovers130 members