Home-Style Banana PuddingFrom peacekeeper0 7 years ago
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 cups milk, low fat or whole shopping list
- 3 large egg yolks shopping list
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla shopping list
- vanilla wafer cookies shopping list
- 3 to 4 bananas, ripe but firm shopping list
- sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping shopping list
- banana slices for garnish shopping list
- mint sprigs, optional shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and flour; stir to blend. Slowly stir in milk until smooth. Pour into the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks; gradually whisk in about 1 cup of the slightly thickened hot milk mixture.
- Return egg mixture to the double boiler, stir in the vanilla and butter, and continue whisking and cooking until well thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In tall dessert glasses or a 2-quart serving dish, make a layer of vanilla wafers then sliced banana.
- Spoon some of the pudding over the banana layer then layer more vanilla wafers and banana slices, topping with more pudding. Serve with whipped cream topping. If using short dessert dishes, use only one layer each of the wafers, banana slices, and pudding, and then top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Garnish each serving with a few slices of banana and a mint sprig if desired.