Tomato SoupFrom cybercalf 7 years ago
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic shopping list
- 3-4 bay leaves shopping list
- 1tbls dried basil or 6-8 large leaves fresh shopping list
- 1/8th of a tsp of cloves shopping list
- 3tbls brown suger shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 15ounce cans of vegetable broth shopping list
- 1 large can of tomato sauce shopping list
- 8TBLS olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Add olive oil to large stock pot. Put Butter into same pot and heat on medium to melt butter, be careful not to scortch it as a browned butter will change the flavor of the finished soup.
- quarter tomatoes and onion. You can "seed" the tomatoes at this point but that will add some time to your prep. Add tomatoes and onion to pot on stove. Stir to break up the tomatoes and seperate the onion petals.
- add garlic, bay leaves, basil, cloves, brown sugar, salt and pepper and 1 can vegetable broth. Simmer on low, stirring every so often, for 45 minutes, until onion turns clear and skins remove easily from tomatoes.
- remove bay leaves from pot and discard. let soup cool slightly and remove as much of the tomatoe skins as possible.
- puree' what is left in pot in a food processor or blender. If your machine does not hold it all, puree' in several batches. Strain pureed mixture through a fine strainer back into stock pot..
- Add one large can of tomato sauce to mixture on stove and additional vegetable broth until of consistency you like. Heat to boiling and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
The Cookcybercalf Hazleton, PA
The Rating3 people
My little one was home sick today and loves tomato soup, had none in the pantry, but plenty of tomatoes from the Summer in the freezer. She absolutely loves this and it's way better than out of a can. Only thing I did different was of course the froz...moremrtnzangel8 in SW loved it
This is going to taste good. I like the taste as I was seasoning the soup. Used a couple more tomatoes than the recipe calls for but I will simmer it down to a good consistency at the end.pointsevenout in Athens loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!