Naan BreadFrom trevorst 7 years ago
- 3 1/4 cups All Purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1 pkg instant yeast (Rapid Rise works well) shopping list
- 5/8 Cup Warm milk shopping list
- 5/8 Cup plain yogurt (Low Fat is OK) shopping list
- butter shopping list
- poppy seeds shopping list
How to make it
- Sift the flour into a large bowl with the sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk and stir in the yogurt. Fold in the flour a little at a time until the dough comes together.
- Turn out the dough on a floured surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic (about 7 - 8 minutes).
- Place dough in a bowl and cover to rise 3 - 4 hours (Takes longer than bread dough).
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and roll into balls. Flatten balls into oblong shape using your hands or a rolling pin.
- Pre-heat the broiler on high.
- Grease a large heavy bottom skillet lightly with oil or ghee (clarified butter) and heat on medium heat until very hot.
- Cook the Naan one or two at a time (depending on size of skillet) on one side, remove spread uncooked side with butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Cook under broiler until lightly browned (goes fast so don't close the door).
- Start next two while previous batch is the broiler.
- Once you get the hang of cooking the Naan it goes quite fast, store the Naan in a towel as they come out of the oven.