French Onion SoupFrom alaskanmom 6 years ago
- 6 large onions, peeled & sliced into rings shopping list
- 1/2 Cup butter shopping list
- 6 cans (10.5 oz. each) beef broth shopping list
- 1 Cup water shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce shopping list
- bay leaf shopping list
- 10 slices French bread, croutons or any bread you like shopping list
- mozzarella cheese slices shopping list
How to make it
- In a large soup pot saute onions in the butter until they are softened and start to become translucent. About 20 minutes or so.
- Add the beef broth, water, salt, garlic powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce & bay leaf to the pan and bring to a boil.
- After the soup comes to a boil, reduce heat & simmer for 45 minutes.
- Before serving remove bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with one piece of bread or many croutons and a slice of cheese.
- Broil in oven or microwave long enough to melt cheese.
- (We like to use croutons just so there are bite sized pieces of bread, something else I've found at our grocery store is a bag full of little round bread pieces in different flavors, those work nice too.)