Po Boy SandwichFrom lor 7 years ago
- 12 inch(or more) loaf of French bread or large Submarine buns shopping list
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise shopping list
- 1 cup shredded lettuce shopping list
- 8 - 10 slices of cooked beef, shaved / thinly sliced shopping list
- Note: Home cooked roast beef not processed. shopping list
- 3/4 - 1 cup beef gravy, heated shopping list
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced - not original but we like it shopping list
- Note: You can use any meat or seafood you like ie. pork, chicken, deep fried clams / shrimp / crawfish / catfish and she crab. Unfortunately, the price of seafood today isn't as inexpensive as it was when the sandwich was first created. Hence the term, "Poor Boy" shortened to "Po Boy." shopping list
How to make it
- Split the bread lengthwise and warm it in the oven.
- Spread the bottom half with mayonnaise.
- Pile on shredded lettuce and top with overlapping slices of beef. Spoon warm gravy over the meat, top with tomato slices, and add the top half of the bread.
- Cut in half and serve warm.
- Serves two - maybe ;-)
- In New Orleans they make poor-boy sandwiches with fillings that start with fried potatoes and ascend to crab meat. The classic is this hot sandwich made with leftover roast beef and gravy.