Roasted Garlic Chicken With PotatoesFrom nlo209 8 years ago
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled shopping list
- olive oil, to cover shopping list
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (plus some sprigs for garnish) shopping list
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves (plus garnish) shopping list
- 2 tbsp. hot water shopping list
- 2 small chickens, (about 2 lbs. each), cut up shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 6 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- lemon wedges shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- In a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the garlic cloves and enough olive oil just to cover. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook the garlic until it is covered with golden dots, about 15 minutes. Watch carefully, as the garlic burns easily. Remove from heat, let cool and then drain off oil. Reserve.
- In blender or food processor combine the garlic cloves, chopped oregano and thyme, hot water and a little of the reserved oil, if desired. Puree to form a coarse paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Rub the garlic paste generously over the chickens, coating all the surfaces. Place the potatoes in an even layer in a roasting pan just large enough to hold the chickens comfortably in a single layer. Top with the onions, distributing them evenly, then season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with a bit of the reserved garlic oil. Lay the chicken, cut sides down, on top of the vegetables and cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Roast until the chickens begin to brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 450ºF. Remove foil, baste chicken with pan juices. Continue to cook uncovered until chicken is done, another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and potatoes to a large platter and garnish with lemon wedges and reserved herb sprigs.