North African Chickpea and Kale SoupFrom panda 8 years ago
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, sliced or diced shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika shopping list
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon chilli powder or cayenne shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- generous pinch saffron, lightly crushed shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick shopping list
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 cans, drained and rinsed) shopping list
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or water plus bouillon) shopping list
- 1 large bunch kale, thick center ribs removed and chopped (at least 8 cups) shopping list
- about 2 cups water shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Spray a large saucepan with olive oil spray and heat it.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook over medium-high heat until the onion begins to brown (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the spices, including bay leaves and cinnamon stick, and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Add the chickpeas and stir to coat them with the spices.
- Pour in the 8 cups of vegetable stock, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale and stir. If necessary add water to cover the kale and cook until it is tender, about 10-25 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your kale. Check frequently to see if it is becoming dry and add water as needed.
- Add salt to taste and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 34
- lafluers Lincoln, NE
- Heyjude13 Nowhere, Us
- Buffybanana Nowhere, Us
- SandyLA90034 Los Angeles, CA
- Ladyluckster Nowhere, Us
- shelby21 Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- atrupprn Nowhere, Us
- Ericabree2011 San Francisco, CA
- midnightmuse Covington, KY
- southwestveggie Silver City, NM
- Plus 24 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookpanda Des Moines, IA
The Rating6 people
Yum Yum.choclytcandy in loved it
I love the sound of the flavors in this recipe! Although I personally don't care for chickpeas I could probably sub navy or white kidney beans. I can't wait to try this!
Bettyrecipesrule in Winnipeg loved it
5 forks...!!! thanks for share it!berry in Winter Park loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!