Udon With Fresh ShiitakesFrom uhannigan 9 years ago
- 1 package udon noodles (organic preferred) shopping list
- 1 Tb. toasted sesame oil shopping list
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped fine shopping list
- 1 Cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped in medium pieces shopping list
- 1 medium to large summer squash, chopped shopping list
- 1 Cup broth (water will do, if no broth is available) shopping list
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup shoyu, to taste* shopping list
- 1/2 Cup green onions, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 Cup cilantro, chopped (optional) shopping list
- * shoyu is an aged soy sauce. Instead of shoyu, I use Mitoku brand Shiitake and shoyu Concentrate. shopping list
How to make it
- Cook Udon noodles according to package directions until not quite done (i.e. very al dente). Drain noodles and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan or saute pan over medium heat..
- Add mushrooms, squash, and garlic. Saute briefly (about 3 minutes) stirring enough to prevent burning or sticking.
- Stir in broth and shoyu, and heat briefly.
- Add cooked Udon in a layer on top of the vegetables, cover, and lower heat.
- When liquid starts to simmer, mix the noodles into the vegetables and broth.
- Simmer for a few minutes, uncovered, over low heat. Determine cooking time by tasting the noodles. Do not allow the noodles to become too soft.
- Serve hot, topped liberally with green onions and cilantro.
- Tip: Do not add salt. Shoyu is very salty.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookuhannigan PA
The Rating4 people
oh boy this looks good!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
I agree, simple and delicious! thanks so much.
Marieinvisiblechef in loved it
love it!orangeskipper in Redding loved it