steak au poivre with brandy cream sauceFrom robertg 7 years ago
- sauce shopping list
- 4 Tbs. butter shopping list
- 1 medium shallot-minced shopping list
- 1 cup canned beef broth shopping list
- 3/4 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbs. brandy shopping list
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- salt shopping list
- steaks shopping list
- 4 (8-10 ounce each),3/4 - 1" thick and no wider than 3" at the widest part-trimmed of exterior gristle shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 1 Tbs. black pepper corns-crushed (can use grinder if it gives very course grind) shopping list
How to make it
- heat 1 Tbs. butter in a heavy bottomed skillet over mediun heat,when foaming subsides, add shallots and cook stiring till softened,about 2 minutes
- add both broths and increase heat to high and boil till reduced to about 1/2 cup (about 8 minutes)set broth mixture aside
- rinse and wipe out skillet
- meanwhile sprinkle salt to both sides of steaks
- rub one side of steaks with crushed peppercorns,press pepper into steaksfirmly with fingers
- place empty skillet onver medium heat until hot(about 4 minutes)
- Lay,unpeppered,side of steaks in hot skillet,increase heat to medium high,firmly press down on steaks with bottom of a cake pan
- cook steaks,without moving them,until well browned,about 6 minutes,Turn over with tongs and press down with the cake pan
- cook peppered side for about 3 minutes for rare-4 minutes for medium rare-5 minutes for medium
- transfer to plate and tent to keep warm and rest
- pour broth,cream and 1/4 cup brandy in skillet and scrape bottom well to get all the brown bits
- simmer untill deep golden brown and sauce heavely coats the back of a spoon-about 5 minutes
- remove from heat,wisk in 3 Tbs. butter , remaining 1 Tb brandy, cream, lemon juice and any accumulated meat juices. adjust seasoning and serve steak with sauce spooned over.
The Cookrobertg MO
The Rating5 people
I could really go for one of these now!zoeb in Seattle loved it
This steak will be really smooth..........
going down with that wonderful cream sauce....
Love the brandy !....brandy makes everything better!
Thanks....mjcmcook.... BIG 5 !mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Wow, what a steak!organicmama in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!