steak au poivre with brandy cream sauceFrom robertg 9 years ago
- sauce shopping list
- 4 Tbs. butter shopping list
- 1 medium shallot-minced shopping list
- 1 cup canned beef broth shopping list
- 3/4 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbs. brandy shopping list
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- salt shopping list
- steaks shopping list
- 4 (8-10 ounce each),3/4 - 1" thick and no wider than 3" at the widest part-trimmed of exterior gristle shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 1 Tbs. black pepper corns-crushed (can use grinder if it gives very course grind) shopping list
How to make it
- heat 1 Tbs. butter in a heavy bottomed skillet over mediun heat,when foaming subsides, add shallots and cook stiring till softened,about 2 minutes
- add both broths and increase heat to high and boil till reduced to about 1/2 cup (about 8 minutes)set broth mixture aside
- rinse and wipe out skillet
- meanwhile sprinkle salt to both sides of steaks
- rub one side of steaks with crushed peppercorns,press pepper into steaksfirmly with fingers
- place empty skillet onver medium heat until hot(about 4 minutes)
- Lay,unpeppered,side of steaks in hot skillet,increase heat to medium high,firmly press down on steaks with bottom of a cake pan
- cook steaks,without moving them,until well browned,about 6 minutes,Turn over with tongs and press down with the cake pan
- cook peppered side for about 3 minutes for rare-4 minutes for medium rare-5 minutes for medium
- transfer to plate and tent to keep warm and rest
- pour broth,cream and 1/4 cup brandy in skillet and scrape bottom well to get all the brown bits
- simmer untill deep golden brown and sauce heavely coats the back of a spoon-about 5 minutes
- remove from heat,wisk in 3 Tbs. butter , remaining 1 Tb brandy, cream, lemon juice and any accumulated meat juices. adjust seasoning and serve steak with sauce spooned over.
The Cookrobertg MO
The Rating5 people
Wow, what a steak!organicmama in loved it
This steak will be really smooth..........
going down with that wonderful cream sauce....
Love the brandy !....brandy makes everything better!
Thanks....mjcmcook.... BIG 5 !mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
I could really go for one of these now!zoeb in Seattle loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!