Island BiscottiFrom chefcarolyn 9 years ago
- 1 C dried tropical fruits (such as papaya, pineapple, mango) shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- ¾ C granulated sugar, plus extra for topping shopping list
- ½ C vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 T finely grated orange zest shopping list
- 1 t ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 ½ t baking powder shopping list
- 1 t vanilla extract shopping list
- ½ t almond extract shopping list
- ¼ t salt shopping list
- 2 C flour, or as needed shopping list
- 1 C chopped macadamia nuts shopping list
- ½ C shredded coconut shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat an oven to 350 F. Place the fruit in a bowl with hot water to cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, the 3/4 c sugar, oil, orange zest, cinnamon, baking powder, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt. Whisk to blend. Add the four, nuts, coconut and fruit and stir until a dough forms. Turn out onto a heavily floured surface and kneed until smooth, adding more flour if too sticky to work, about 20 turns. Divide the dough in half.
- Continuing to work on the floured surface, form each half into a log 2 inches in diameter. Carefully transfer the logs to an ungreased baking sheet, spacing them well apart. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake until golden brown and firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Leave the oven set at 350 F.
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the logs to a work surface. Using a serrated knife, cut on the diagonal into slices ½ inch thick. Return the slices cut-side down to the baking sheet. Bake until brown, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- Makes about 3 dozen.