Blackberry Cornmeal CakeFrom helewes 8 years ago
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) shopping list
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 cup for sprinkling shopping list
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon for skillet shopping list
- 2 containers fresh blackberries (5.6 ounces each) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter; pour over flour mixture, whisking to combine.
- In a 10-inch skillet (preferably cast-iron), heat remaining tablespoon butter in the oven until melted and skillet is hot, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven; swirl to coat bottom of pan.
- Pour batter into skillet; scatter blackberries on top, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake, with a baking sheet on rack below (to catch any drips), until top is evenly browned, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge to loosen; cut into 8 wedges.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- ~~~~You can substitute an equal amount of fresh blueberries for the blackberries; be sure to rinse and dry them thoroughly before scattering over the batter.~~~~